A Bird, a Plane, You!
You get to choose one superpower. Pick one of these, and explain your choice:
- the ability to speak and understand any language
- the ability to travel through time
- the ability to make any two people agree with each other
For reasons best known to my wicked, rebellious subconscious, I am at the moment being wilfully lazy and obstructionist. Meaning that even those things I know have to be done I am looking at with gimlet-eyed and stubborn refusal.
There is, for example, a credit card bill due today and sitting right beside my computer. If I don’t pay now, I’ll be charged a late fee. But there it is and here I am, and the gulf between us is as wide as the ocean between here and Chile – the next landfall – which I assure you is no mean gulf.
It would be quite interesting to know why my s/c is on this rebellious kick, and I could, as it happens, hypnotise myself and ask it (yes, I can do these things) but the idea doesn’t appeal any more than paying the credit card bill.
The answer could be that I am innately an unregenerate sloth, and age has whittled away the discipline I developed to counter this. Or it could be that I have been nauseatingly law-abiding all my life, and my subconscious is determined to mine a previously-unrecognised delinquent streak before time runs out. Or maybe I’ve just come to a screeching halt regarding those things that bore me. Which is pretty much anything that comes into the category of ‘other people’s expectations’.
So what I’d really like in the way of a superpower is the ability to think what I need to do and don’t want to, and have it automatically accomplished. (I did think of clicking my fingers to have it done, but it my present mood, I’d probably baulk at clicking my fingers.)
As for the superpowers you suggest:
- I’d like to be multilingual. There’s a big world out there. But I can do without
- Time travel is of no interest, thanks. The present keeps me busy enough
- Making any two people agree with each other… The mind boggles. Does one person’s opinion trump the other’s? Do they both subscribe to a middle ground? I foresee either world chaos or eternal and all-consuming beige.